Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Whatcha'll listening to?

An underappreciated song ( most of George's are ) song from what is, in my opinion, the Beatles' best album. Beautiful harmonies, chiming guitar, what more can you ask for?

As a bonus, possibly my favorite Beatles song. There's some very strange audio quirks in it with some flat notes and unexplained feedback that I find endlessly mesmerizing. On such a polished album as Rubber Soul how could these seemingly imperfect takes make it onto the record if they weren't intentional and, if they were intended to be there, what was their intent meant to be? The deterioration of a failing relationship? A representation of the nagging, niggling little peculiarities we all have which, over time, can either endear a person to us or bring about utter revulsion? We'll probably never know for sure.

I may have posted this before but this George Harrison song (and official video) are quite captivating to me:

It's the girl. Her quirky, slightly-off-center face is endearing ; she is "imperfect" - like all of us - but it is that imperfection which piques our interest because it is familiar and relatable. The video as a whole, with her dancing - prancing even - through various locales ( the stages of life ) until she finds her partner at the song's conclusion fits the feel of the song with its upbeat tempo and searching-yet-contemplative lyrics. The song itself is likely about God ( in George's case Krishna, or whatever his Indian spirituality was ) and His love for us but I think it can just as well be interpreted in a more secular, humanist sense of finding a companion - platonic or otherwise - to travel through life's journey with. It fills the heart with a warmth and appreciation for the gift we have all equally been given : life itself.

This George Harrison video is quite awesome...

My dad has a fun anecdote about this song. He went to Catholic school in the 1960s and 1970s until 10th grade - about 1974 for him. Occasionally the nuns would allow the class to bring in some outside records to play for everyone. However this was still a Catholic school so the records still needed to be respectable to the conservative faculty : something like "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin probably wouldn't have gone over too well but bubblegum pop and inoffensive light rock and roll music was fine.

Anyway, so my dad brings this 45 in to school to play. The nuns, being unfamiliar with George Harrison and what he was about apart from being "one of those Beatles" approved of it beforehand without hearing it, likely because of the title. As the record starts to play the nuns begin to get into it, tapping their feet, swaying back and forth to the rhythm, and generally appreciating the positive, uplifting message about God's love and George's yearning to be with Him. But then the song's lyrics change to "Hare Krishna" instead of "Hallelujah". It takes the nuns a few seconds to realize what is happening but when they do they suddenly leap up from their chair and tear the record off the player and promptly admonish my dad for bringing in this entirely non-Christian song and, for a short while, fooling them into thinking that it was something it was not.

My father tells the story better in person of course. He really sets the scene and acts out the motions and reactions of the nuns.

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator
It's the girl. Her quirky, slightly-off-center face is endearing ; she is "imperfect" - like all of us - but it is that imperfection which piques our interest because it is familiar and relatable. The video as a whole, with her dancing - prancing even - through various locales ( the stages of life ) until she finds her partner at the song's conclusion fits the feel of the song with its upbeat tempo and searching-yet-contemplative lyrics. The song itself is likely about God ( in George's case Krishna, or whatever his Indian spirituality was ) and His love for us but I think it can just as well be interpreted in a more secular, humanist sense of finding a companion - platonic or otherwise - to travel through life's journey with. It fills the heart with a warmth and appreciation for the gift we have all equally been given : life itself.

I am utterly serious as I say this: What you wrote here is as captivating and as stirring as the song itself.

You have a true gift for prose and I applaud you!

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator

About two hours ago the urologist called me and told me that my prostate cancer is benign and that while I need to get tested every six months I can probably skip surgery and chemotherapy for the rest of my life. I'm 2/3 of the way through an excessively large gin and tonic right now because believe it or not the good news was actually more traumatic than the bad news I was prepared for.

And then I come back to re-read this absolutely beautiful thing you wrote here and I want to bawl my eyes out like a fucking baby.

I will brace myself and probably fetch another drink before Mrs. Trang gets home and then I'll get on the game to clear my head.

All that said I want you to know that what you probably thought was just a random post on the web really, truly touched me. Right when I needed it most.

You made a difference. Most people go their entire lives without making such an accomplishment.

Thank you. Most sincerely.

Peter

About two hours ago the urologist called me and told me that my prostate cancer is benign and that while I need to get tested every six months I can probably skip surgery and chemotherapy for the rest of my life. I'm 2/3 of the way through an excessively large gin and tonic right now because believe it or not the good news was actually more traumatic than the bad news I was prepared for.

And then I come back to re-read this absolutely beautiful thing you wrote here and I want to bawl my eyes out like a fucking baby.

I will brace myself and probably fetch another drink before Mrs. Trang gets home and then I'll get on the game to clear my head.

All that said I want you to know that what you probably thought was just a random post on the web really, truly touched me. Right when I needed it most.

You made a difference. Most people go their entire lives without making such an accomplishment.

Peter
Hey best wishes going forward with treatment and screening man. Cancer absolutely blows. I’ll say a prayer for you and yours, man. Take care dude.

Peter
That is great news friend. Cancer is scary as hell. I'm humbled by your kind words, truly.